Power and Politics - I am Not the Yellow Peril

The life and times of an Asian American activist who tells all the truth (and dishes news and analysis) but with a leftwards slant.

Monday, May 01, 2006

People power

I went to the immigration rally today. My god, the numbers of people - average Joes, you couldn't tell the marchers from the people on the street. We were marching freely through the streets and people had brought families, there were grandparents and retirees, Latinos, Asian Americans, (fewer) African Americans, white people, punks, anarchists, preppy college kids, gays and lesbians, high schoolers, babies, just the whole broad beautiful spectrum of America.

The last time I felt like this, or thought a protest looked like this was the antiwar marches in 2003 where people would join in off the street. It was such a sight to behold, my peoples.

This is the immigrant rights movement that I have been waiting for, for everyone to come into the sun and march as one people, one nation. I saw NO counterprotesters. I only saw people who cheered and those who were looking at us curiously.

It was a joyous march that made me feel like we're reclaiming America from those who would divide us with racist or bigoted rhetoric. Today was uplifting and inspiring, a true paean to American democracy and freedoms.

A hearty thank you to everyone who turned out, or the people on the street who just joined in. I love these United States (and Alaska and Hawaii too!) because of our unity and our spirit and in the best of times, our openmindedness and willingness to embrace the other. Today made me feel like an American, more so than the average days where I trudge to work, or compete against other women to be first in line at the store.

Long live the immigrant spirit of America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home