Power and Politics - I am Not the Yellow Peril

The life and times of an Asian American activist who tells all the truth (and dishes news and analysis) but with a leftwards slant.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Belated thanksgiving

Work has been really busy. And I didn't get a chance to reflect on what I'm thankful for this year, which is a shame. Because I have so many wonderful people in my life and I'm blessed to be where I'm at. I suppose my musical kick is because music unites and heals us.

I suppose part of me feels weird being happy and has to go dig up some angst in a nod to who I used to be. And partially I believe that angst fuels or drives writers and even bloggers. But what I want to focus on is what I am really freakin' grateful for.

I know for certain that I'm lucky to be where I'm standing, and that well, some days I wouldn't be standing if it wasn't for my friends and family. So I'm thankful for my wide circle of friends, who have always been there for me. I'm thankful for my family, who don't always understand what I do but who want the best for me. I'm thankful for my family of friends who believe in me, and whom I learn from. And who I get to share lovely cuckoo moments with as well as more probing, root cause kinds of conversations.

I'm lucky that I get to blog and that I'm an American. It's a privilege that I think we frequently neglect to consider, but when you consider that people who came here to make a better life are giving up on the American Dream, I'm damned lucky. I'm lucky that I'm able to go out to dinner and tip well without worrying if it'll set me back.

I'm lucky that I can afford to give money and time (sometimes) to my favorite causes. I'm really lucky that I get to work for great progressive causes with folks who I love.

I'm thankful for the basics - food, a warm bed, roof over my head, and my laptop. (Just kidding. . . I know lots of people around the globe don't have laptops or even the basics.)

I'm grateful that I've been able to learn and grow from past experiences (I hope) and that these lessons inform my current and future decisions. I'm lucky that I have people who support and care for me. Love to all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home