Power and Politics - I am Not the Yellow Peril

The life and times of an Asian American activist who tells all the truth (and dishes news and analysis) but with a leftwards slant.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Music moving me

I guess I'm temporarily in a mood to write or link to music that's moving me, versus my favorite haunt of politics. Something about politics not being a game or lacking the fun or perhaps its a peaceful mood that doesn't want to get all jarred up by intramural battles.

Sea Wolf's I Made a Resolution is great soul-searching music, which is appropriate for the contemplative mood I've been in. I recently decided to make some resolutions in advance of New Year's and hopefully I can stick to em. Sometimes I just get all caught up in the heat and the lights and the votes and forget about other things that aren't news or politics. Sometimes politicos forget that it's not just numbers of votes, but that these are actual people with actual problems and stories who are trying to make their lives better. This song is all about being stuck, even a whole family or community being stuck and needing to shake themselves free. Sometimes our parents are too busy with the burdens and it's up to our generation. This song and especially the timbre of his voice reminds me of Eddie Vedder in his heyday. Guess I'm in an 80s and 90s mood.

(I hope I can stick to at least one of them. Wish me luck.)



Lyrics here.

SEA WOLF - I Made a Resolution
well I woke up this morning
and I made a resolution,
I said "never going to sing another sad song again."

I decided I'd admit it,
I'm not an intellectual,
though the words never come easy unless I'm singing them,
and the hills that I was born in will never leave me no matter how hard I try.

and then my brother was murdered
while my father was in prison,
and the girl that I sometimes loved up and moved away,
and my body filled up with blackness, and the darkness it wanted to drown me, and I heard my father's footsteps catching up to me,
and he took me by the shoulders and he said "son, my hands are strong, but I hope you have the strength to shake us free, shake us free boy, shake us free my son, you better shake us free."

(breakdown)

and now I'm lying in the van,
chicago in the springtime,
and the rain outside was falling sounds just like popcorn,
but before I open my eyes I think I make this resolution, "no I'm never gonna sing another sad song for as long as I live"

and the light coming through the windows is making everything glow
and he took me by the shoulders and he said "son my hands are strong, but I hope you have the strength to shake us free, shake us free, shake us free, shake us free my son."
I made a resolution
I made a resolution
I made a resolution
I made a resolution

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home