Power and Politics - I am Not the Yellow Peril

The life and times of an Asian American activist who tells all the truth (and dishes news and analysis) but with a leftwards slant.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Newt Gingrich es un idiota grande

Damn, I have to get some work done soon but I saw this video and it was too hilarious not to post. Ladies and gents, I give you Newt Gingrich lecturing Latinos on his "English first" philosophy . . . in retarded 2nd grade Spanish while looking like a dweeby pig. (It's the beady eyes sunken into layers of fat.)



The back story here is that he said the U.S. should abolish bilingual education so that people aren’t speaking “the language of living in a ghetto.” Then he tried to back track from the criticism by saying, "“Now, I’ll let you pick — frankly, ghetto, historically had referred as a Jewish reference originally."

Perhaps the funniest line is when he stutters in very fractured Spanish: "This is an expression of support for Latinos and not an attack on their language. I have never believed that Spanish is a language of people of low income."

Wrong, mister. You not only attacked the Spanish language, you bayoneted it. Repeatedly. With. Each. And. Every. Slow. Syll. Uh. Bull.

At the end, Gingrich says, "It was not my intention to offend the Latino community and I hope you accept this communication that I am offering you from a sincere heart."

Except that most normal people would say, "Please accept my sincere words of apology." Now that I look at it, I'm not sure that the person who edited his video has a good command of English! It's like they ran the Spanish through a WASPifier and then tried to translate it back into English via altavista babelfish.

Plus he tries to make amends by saying that he has been trying to learn Spanish and that the president and spokesman of Gingrich Communications have also learned Spanish. This is no better than claiming to have token Latino friends in the wide, wide world of pander.

As kos says, it hurts! it hurts! But surprisingly it hurts less than MC Rove. Only because it gave permanent ear damage. Now watch Ken Mehlman's carefully built Latino outreach machine crash and burn. Crash and burn baby, cos as inept as Democrats are sometimes, the Republicans just organize the masses for you.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home