Power and Politics - I am Not the Yellow Peril

The life and times of an Asian American activist who tells all the truth (and dishes news and analysis) but with a leftwards slant.

Friday, March 07, 2008

McCain blows up at NYT reporter

THe funniest part of all of this is that it's at Elizabeth Bumiller, who is generally not considered to be the one asking the hard questions or even the followup questions. She's a GOP scribe and lapdog if you ever saw one.

I bet that this is probably the last time she even bothers asking a question apart from, "May I have some fries with that?"

I mean, cos it's soooooo terrible for the man who was previously "enchanting" you on his ranch and feeding you BBQ to now be getting angry at you like your grandpapa. McCain's temper and ferocity is legendary - he's said "fuck you" to many GOP senators, and had to apologize many times over. Is this the man you want with his finger on the red button!?!?

now documented here, here and here.

The following is an ABC News transcript of the conversation:

New York Times correspondent Elisabeth Bumiller: Senator can I ask you about Senator Kerry. I just went back and looked at our story, the Times story, and you told Sheryl Stolberg that you had never had a conversation with Kerry about being, about Vice President –

John McCain: Everybody knows that I had a private conversation. Everybody knows that. That I had a conversation. There’s no living American in Washington -

EB: Okay.

McCain: - that knows that, there’s no one.

EB: Okay

McCain: And you know it too. You know it. You know it. So I don’t even know why you ask.

EB: Well I ask because I just read –-

McCain: You do know it. You do know it.

EB: Because I just read in the Times in May of ’04 you said.

McCain: I don’t know what you may have read or heard of, I don’t know the circumstances. Maybe in May of 04 I hadn’t had the conversation --

EB: But do you recall the conversation?

McCain: I don’t know, but it’s well known that I had the conversation. It is absolutely well known by everyone. So do you have a question on another issue?

EB: Well can I ask you when the conversation was?

McCain: No. Nope, because the issue is closed as far as I’m concerned. Everybody knows it. Everybody knows it in America.

EB: Can you describe the conversation?

McCain: Pardon me.

EB: Can you describe the conversation?

McCain: No, of course not. I don’t describe private conversations.

EB: Okay. Can I ask you –

McCain: Why should I? Then there’s no such thing as a private conversation. Is there (inaudible) if you have a private conversation with someone, and then they come and tell you. I don’t know that that’s a private conversation. I think that’s a public conversation.

EB. Okay. Can I ask you about your (pause) Why you’re so angry?

McCain: Pardon me?

EB: Nevermind, nevermind.

McCain: I mean it’s well known. Everybody knows. It’s been well chronicled a thousand times. John Kerry asked if I would consider being his running mate.

EB: Right.

McCain: And I said categorically no, under no circumstances. That’s all very well known.

EB: Okay, let me ask you… (moves on to another question.)

UPDATE: Hmm, here's some video footage, he doesn't look as angry as thought. however, it does seem as those he snaps at her. Supposedly McCain has been taking anger management classes . . . perhaps it's helping a little. I still wouldn't want him near the red button. Or the red phone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home