Power and Politics - I am Not the Yellow Peril

The life and times of an Asian American activist who tells all the truth (and dishes news and analysis) but with a leftwards slant.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Fair is fair

In reorganizing, I went back and looked at previous blog posts trying to see if I had written about Naisy Dolar before because I was pretty sure I had (I need a blog librarian.) This new blogger is of no help in searching my archives. Anyway, I decided to update on an older post.

Just wanted to be fair - recently found out that Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (who might forever have a "first ever" attached permanently to his name, appointed Juliette Kayyemm an Arab American woman, as his Homeland Security adviser. I had previously complained that for a Democratic Gov in one of the most Democratic states, he and Spitzer (NY Gov.) had plenty of leeway to do so. The Boston Globe reported:

Juliette Kayyem, 37, will be the only Arab-American to hold a state-level homeland security position, according to a spokesman for the US Department of Homeland Security. She will also be one of a handful of women to hold such a job.
"It's a tremendous opportunity," said Kayyem, who will serve as undersecretary of homeland security, a position that previous administrations did not have. She will be paid $125,000 a year.


Pretty awesome. An Arab American woman as terrorism czar. Even if she is an undersecretary, that is thinking outside the box. All props where due to Patrick, who announced the position shortly after I complained. Obviously this means that I was the impetus, in an Post hoc, Ergo Procter Hoc fashion. Now Spitzer on the other hand has some work to do. According to a Jan. 31st article, he hadn't named any high level Asian American appointees, probably because there were no Asian Americans in the core transition group. Perhaps if I keep complaining, he'll hear me . . . or steamroll me. *Runs for cover*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home