Power and Politics - I am Not the Yellow Peril

The life and times of an Asian American activist who tells all the truth (and dishes news and analysis) but with a leftwards slant.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Tuesday Means Super Turnout, or "I drink your milkshake!"


Democratic voter turnout bested GOP turnout in all the states where both parties had primaries or caucuses (except for Utah, where Mormons turned out en masse for Romster.) A Romster can be formally defined as if a plastic hamster were massively wealthy and decided to run for office, essentially buying states, but no love from his fellow hamsters or media.

Here's a list of the states:
North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Minnesota, Missouri (by far!), Connecticut, Delaware as well as traditional bases like NJ, NY, Mass, Illinois, California.

And we almost had parity in Alabama, which is pretty amazing.

So far, New Mexico still has yet to be called. I think it's interesting that swing states like New Mexico (less than 500 votes in 2000) and Missouri in the general election are also swing states in our Democratic primary/caucus. Meanwhile, look at states like California, New York, Massachusetts and Illinois. They are predictably blue in the general, and they all had over 10% margins in the primaries. There's just as much indecision in the Democratic base in swings states I guess.

Most importantly, both Hillary and Obama got 5 mil votes each, compared to McCain's 3 million. Given that many of these were in red states, as Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" might say, "I drink your milkshake!"

Of course, if I were Kelis and I were talking about Democratic turnout (or even some mashup of Kelis-Obama bragging about field operation strength in caucus states), I would have to go with the old standby:

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,
And they're like
It's better than yours
Damn right, it's better than yours
I can teach you but I'd have to charge.

I could go on in this vein, comparing votes and voters to milkshakes, but someone would probably shoot me. Oops, didn't mean to reference the movie again. . . (and in case you're interested, the movie was slow. s ----- l ------- o --------- w. painfully so. But certain highlights were worth the 2.5 hours of mindnumbing drawn out setup.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home