Power and Politics - I am Not the Yellow Peril

The life and times of an Asian American activist who tells all the truth (and dishes news and analysis) but with a leftwards slant.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Love wins the day

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Helen Zia, one of my Asian American activist icons, was legally wedded to Lia Shigemura, her longtime partner, in the state of California.

Additionally, George Takei ("sulu" of Star Trek) was in line for an application for marriage in Los Angeles.

Thank god people can finally legally have the same rights as everybody else in one more state in the nation. Now for the 48 other states . . .

(Yes, I know NY Gov. David Patterson has approved allowing same sex married couples who move to NY State be recognized - this is just the first step, not the same thing as equality. But a great first step it is!)

For now, love wins the day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home